Saturday, September 13, 2008

buenos dias de pisaç!

Julie, i have no idea what you mean about the letters you can´t read, sorry!

well, this is the first chance for internet i´ve had since i arrived, and the last i´ll have until the...23rd i think? anyways, what i´ve been up to! we´headed straight from lima by plane to cusco. and immediately from there we went to the hanna pacha retreat center located in the sacred valley (valle sagrada). the retreat center is geared toward a lot of yoga groups and groups like ours hanging out and getting ready for trips like this. it´s totally organic, everything´s vegetarian...it´s great!! the women who run it, a mama and her daughter, probably smoked a little too much pot in their day, and in this day, but they´re fantastic people with great hearts and a great vision for improving the lives of those who live here. the mama started an orphanage we´re going to volunteer at later in the trip, called la casa de milagros. i´m so stoked!! anyways, we´ve all just spent this tim egetting acquainted and doing country orientation stuff. these people are Fantastic! i´m loving all 7 other kids my age, and our two leaders so much. we´ve formed suh a familia in only the past 3 days, i know the rest of the trip will be awesome. thanks so much for the comments too! from mi faimilia verdad! today we went and did touristy things. we went to an incredible incan ruin. i took lots of pics! and then to a salt mine that´s been functioning since incan times. it´s genius how it´s still going. i took pics there too and they require lots of explanation, so get ready!

tomorrow we´re headed into the jungle, or towards it. we´re in the jungle for a total of 6 days, i think. with the sheptiari trip near the peru-brazil border. before we head there, we´re spending two days in a hacienda a bit closer to the jungle than we are currently, en la valle. my español is already improving, and i´m excited to see how much more i get to learn! after the jungle, we return to cusco, for a few weeks of language schools. i´ll have access to internet then.

I miss you all very much, but it´s not unbearable! it helps that the people here are great, and so supportive. brit, one of our leaders, sort of epitomizes what i want to be when i grow up. (she went to CC and majored in anthropology!) and Nik, other leader, is fun as well. familia, they kinda remind me of tanya and charis, without the couple part!

hasta luego! en diez dias!
besos,
Katie

ps- keep me updated on gpa too. anything that happens, email. dad, thanks for the upate. tell gma and gpa i´m thinking about them lots.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. I love you and be safe! Miss you lots.

Karen S said...

Katie! We love you and we're so happy that you're having fun meeting new people and having new experiences. We're moving furniture off the hardwood floor today, so be glad you're in Peru. Tom wishes he were there too. Granny and Papa survived the hurricane that went right over Huntsville, but the don't have power. Papa managed to get your fantasy picks done before the outage, so not to worry. Have a great week in the jungle. Love, mom and dad

Anonymous said...

The letters my mom is talkin about are just those word verification things you have to type in before you can post your comment! my moms had me go over and read her the letters..haha.. but in her defense some of them I can't even read! anyway- I miss, miss you! and love, love you lots!

Unknown said...

Kate S!! I was thinking about you a lot today! :) I'm so so glad to hear that you're having tons of fun already and that you made it there safely! I hope you have enough room on your memory cards to take tons of pics! I already can't wait to see them and hear all about them! The only thing new or exciting with me is that i'm becoming a One Tree Hill addict...I know, its sad.. but ALL my friends are! haha I like it, but it sure is weird to actually watch TV, that's definitely a change for me! School is going great, classes are still great, I'm studying hard :) Be safe in the jungle, please! I miss you buddy! Love you!!!

Karen S said...

Katie, We're checking the blog every day and can't wait to hear from you! I have had so many of our friends ask if they could have your blog address so they can follow you on your journey. I have forwarded it on to them, so you have a pretty big audience now. No pressure, but you better write some pretty good stuff because we're all waiting! You have lots of prayers and good thoughts going your way. Love you, Mom